Welcome to The Life Of A Dalai Mama

Welcome! I was inspired to write this blog by my loving husband. My hopes are to have daily posts that follow my life as a yogini, mom and wife. You will travel with me through the trials and tribulations of balancing love, family and work. I hope to inspire, motivate or at least make someone feel like they are not alone in this world. I would love topics to talk about so email me at mariajakubik@yahoo.com and I will answer every question sent to me (regarding marriage, yoga and motherhood...I would love to tell you how to change the oil in your car but I have no clue).
With much peace and love please enjoy The Life Of A Dalai Mama.
Namaste.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Vegan Mac and Cheese without Vegan Cheese

So I started following Chef Chloe a sweet vegan chef with some great recipes.  She had a recipe for vegan mac and cheese but here's the kicker... no  cheese (dairy or vegan) anywhere in the recipe.  I am not a big fan of vegan cheese so I figured this recipe was worth a shot.  I tweeked it a bit so here is my version.  Just remember if you do a taste test during don't think its a waste.  The whole time I was making it I was thinking I wasted so much food bc this will not taste good but it ended up delicious and my hubby went back for seconds!!! You can see by my pic we ate almost half of it!! Get ready for a meal staple you will probably make every week!!

1 Sweet Potatoe  cooked and mashed (about a cup)
1Lb of elbow pasta (go ahead make it quinoa pasta I am trying this next week)
3 1/2 cups of Plain unsweetened (NOT VANILLA UNSWEETENED JUST PLAIN UNSWEETENED) Almond Milk
1/4 cup of flour
3 - 4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Tsp of Salt
1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 Tsp of Soy Sauce
1 1/2 Tsp of Lime juice
1 large glove of garlic minced
2 Tsp of fresh or dried rosemary (I actually used a pampered chef rosemary blend)
1 Tbsp of breadcrumb for garnish not needed if you are gluten free

To begin get a large pot fill it with water add some salt and get it boiling.  Once it boils add the pasta and cook a little al dente.  Drain and put aside in the pot.

While the water is boiling you can start the "cheese" sauce.  Take your oil and flour and use a medium hit in a large saucepan and start your "rue".  You will need to whisk it and if it starts to chunk add a little more oil but not too much.  It will take about three minutes.  Now add the rest of the ingredients except the breadcrumb and rosemary.  As you add the ingredients keep whisking.  Once it come to a nice boil lower the heat to simmer so it can start to thicken but don't forget to keep checking on it and whisking.  You want it to be smooth and thick.  When I made this it timed perfectly by the time I had the pasta cooked and back in the pot the "cheese" sauce was ready. If its not give it a minute or two more to thicken up.  OK... ready... now pour the sauce over the pasta in the pot and add the rosemary.  Mix well and then transfer to an oven safe Corningware or Pyrex dish.  Sprinkle the top with a little breadcrumb and put in the oven on the top rack and set the broil to high.  Let it get nice and toasty and brown.  Once you take it out of the oven let it sit for a few minutes.  Then dig in and enjoy it's so delish!!!! I think it took a total of 30 minutes not counting the bake time for sweet potato.  You could probably microwave the potato but I choose the oven.  I am not a big micro fan but to each his own!!

Keep in mind sweet potatoes are a super food this is a great child friendly meal that helps sneak in a veggie!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment