Welcome to The Life Of A Dalai Mama

Welcome! I was inspired to write this blog by my loving husband. My hopes are to have daily posts that follow my life as a yogini, mom and wife. You will travel with me through the trials and tribulations of balancing love, family and work. I hope to inspire, motivate or at least make someone feel like they are not alone in this world. I would love topics to talk about so email me at mariajakubik@yahoo.com and I will answer every question sent to me (regarding marriage, yoga and motherhood...I would love to tell you how to change the oil in your car but I have no clue).
With much peace and love please enjoy The Life Of A Dalai Mama.
Namaste.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Vegan Shepards Pie Double Baked in Potatoes

This recipe was inspired from a carnivore favorite Shepard's Pie. This is one option double baking in potatoes. I usually just make it all in one casserole dish. I wanted to get fancy this week so I double baked them in potatoes.  Serving them this way is a great for parties. 

As always I use organic ingredients especially when it comes to potatoes! Here's what you will need to make this or the casserole:

1 1/2 cups of green lentils (washed thoroughly)
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 small onion finely chopped
2-3 gloves of garlic finely chopped
2-4 carrots roughly chopped
1/2 bag of frozen sweet peas
6-8 potatoes (washed and peeled and chopped up if making casserole, if making it double stuffed like my pic just wash the potatoes thoroughly do not peel or chop)
Vegan sour cream
Vegan butter
Vegan milk( your choice I used unsweetened almond)
2tbsp of olive oil 

If you are double baking in the potatoes wrap your potatoes in foil and bake in oven. I set oven to 450 and they cooked for 40 min. Once they are done take out cut in half and set aside and let cool enough to handle.  Once you can handle scoop out the inside of the potatoes and place into a bowl leaving some potato in the skin like a small little potato bowl.
With the potato insides in a bowl add some vegan butter about 1/2 cup vegan sour cream and milk if you need it while mashing potatoes. Mash throughly and set aside.

Put the olive oil in pot and start to warm up. As the oil is warming add the onions and garlic. Let them cook until translucent then add carrots. Add some salt to taste at this point. Salutes for about five more minutes then add the lentils and veggie broth.  Turn heat up high until it all comes to rolling boil then lower heat and let simmer for 35-45 min.  

Once the lentils are finished put the lentil mixture into each half of the potatoes and cover w the mashed potato. I added a dash of garlic salt to the tops of them and I put them on broil for about 5 min. 

If you are doing a casserole instead place the lentil mixture at the bottom
Of casserole dish and then cover w potatoes. You can broil the top as well for 5-6 minutes. Delicious. 


No comments:

Post a Comment