Welcome to The Life Of A Dalai Mama

Welcome! I was inspired to write this blog by my loving husband. My hopes are to have daily posts that follow my life as a yogini, mom and wife. You will travel with me through the trials and tribulations of balancing love, family and work. I hope to inspire, motivate or at least make someone feel like they are not alone in this world. I would love topics to talk about so email me at mariajakubik@yahoo.com and I will answer every question sent to me (regarding marriage, yoga and motherhood...I would love to tell you how to change the oil in your car but I have no clue).
With much peace and love please enjoy The Life Of A Dalai Mama.
Namaste.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Yoga and Weight Loss

Really? Are you thinking is she really going to go there? Well, I have to go there. Everyday I hear the same thing, you should offer hot yoga, or yoga fitness or put yoga for weight loss in your window. Here's the simple truth. If you do any physical activity for an hour and fifteen minutes three days a week or more you will get in shape. Plain and simple. Even a gentle yoga class can give you sexy legs and rock hard abs if you are holding the postures correctly. It's difficult to hear I am coming to sweat, I want to scream run here before class and then run home you will sweat or better yet why don't you really hold your muscles during each asana. The best is I don't need a restorative class or a gentle class. When did we become so hard on ourselves?

So it is true if you practice yoga (any type : gentle, vinyasa, hot, cold, power yoga, etc) at least three times a week for more than an hour you will tone up. It's part of the reason we practice the asana. No. Not have sexy legs but our bodies are in fact our temples. So we should take care of them. We do the physical bc all the mental baggage leave us with some toxic stuff in our joints, muscles and most importantly in our hearts.
Then comes the pranayama (breathing), sometimes I see people just doing it to do it. If you really throw yourself into pranayama it's a miracle drug! Pranayama actually helps to relax you, rids you of anxiety, keep you focused(think kids and ADHD!) but above all it brings in more oxygen which in turn flows through your body and makes everything feel better.

Yoga is about letting go, yes physically but the mental too. Will you lose physical weight, well... Yes. Most importantly you will begin to learn to let go of the mental baggage. Once that's removed you will see yourself and others in a different light. There's an old saying if you don't have a few minutes a day to meditate then sit down and meditate for an hour. Use your practice for meditation, stop thinking about how much you want to sweat. In the end it will all be perfect and everything will be exactly where it's supposed to be..

No comments:

Post a Comment